Cyrus back in the room with us
Welcome Cyrus! Cyrus arrived on 23 Dec 2012, slightly after midnight. Here's the story behind his delivery...
22 Dec 2012
Mummy was 39 Weeks 6 days pregnant and very tired. Went for my CTG with Dr Cheng but CTG didn't show much contractions, meaning Cyrus was not coming out anytime soon. However, Cyrus was already estimated to be 3.6kg. We decided that we'll induce Cyrus out as Mummy really didn't want to wait anymore. Mummy's main concern was that Cyrus would grow too big and Mummy wouldn't be able to push him out.
Dr Cheng did a check on my cervix and found out that it was still not open so he had to insert a pill to induce. We were told to admit ourselves into the hospital when contractions came or after 6 hours, whichever came first.
So for the rest of the afternoon, Mummy waited anxiously for pain to come but nothing really happened until around 5pm (5 hrs later). Started having some kind of pain but it was short and intense. Wasn't sure if that was contractions because during Celeste's time, the contractions felt different. Started off not intense but dull crampy feeling. This time was different. Nonetheless, we got ready to go for dinner before we admitted ourselves into the hospital. Decided to just eat at Mt. Alvernia in case I really cannot tahan. True and behold, I took a few bites of my Subway sandwich and felt like I couldn't eat anymore because the pain was getting stronger and more frequent!
Checked into the delivery ward and upon checking at around 7+pm, was told that I was 3cm dilated. Epidural was administered at that point (actually I felt that it was a bit early. Sure run out of epidural!)
At around 10pm, I was 5cm dilated and quite happy, thinking that I have quite a bit of time on hand without pain. Who knows, at 1030pm, the nurse came and checked that I was 7-8cm dilated! She inserted the catether and shortly after, I started feeling pain! Couldn't quite comprehend. Why is there pain?!!!! Not enough epidural? Told the nurse and she upped my epidural. Started shivering (violently and uncontrollably) after that. But at least, the pain was gone.
Unfortunately, the increase in dosage of epidural caused Cyrus to be in some distress. His heartbeat went all the way down from 100+ to 66. The machine recording his heartbeat beeped ominously and I knew something was wrong coz I was feeling dizzy myself. Could feel myself shutting down. Luckily, nurses came in immediately and gave me oxygen. Big breaths of oxygen made me feel better and Cyrus' heartbeat regulated to normal.
So we continued waiting until midnight. By midnight, all were ready to deliver Cyrus. BUT, Cyrus wasn't ready! He made us wait for a good 3-4minutes before contractions came and I had to push. I gave 3 pushes and out he came. :)


